Tax Preparation Assistance
AARP Foundation offers free tax preparation and filing assistance.
Click for Federal Tax Forms & Instructions
Click for Indiana State Tax Forms & Instructions
AARP Foundation offers free tax preparation and filling assistance. All taxpayers are welcome to take part in the service, with a special emphasis on taxpayers age 60 and older. AARP membership is not required. Services are provided by a volunteer team with over 240 years of professional and volunteer tax preparation experience.
How AARP Foundation’s Tax Preparation and Filing Program Works
Tax preparation at Westfield Washington Public Library begins on February 3, 2023 and will be by appointment only. No walk-ins will be allowed. Contact the Adult Reference Department at 317.896.9391 to schedule an appointment.
AARP tax preparation volunteers are certified to prepare most returns, but they are not approved for the following:
• Self-employment if expenses exceed $35,000, home office, ACA premium, or a net loss
• Rental income or depreciation
• Income, deductions, or credits outside our scope
(If you are uncertain about the complexity of your tax situation, please call 317.689.8519.)
As part of the effort to prevent identity theft, the IRS requires volunteers to check the ID of every taxpayer (including spouse for joint returns).
What to Bring to Your Tax Preparation Appointment
The following information will be required to complete a tax return:
• Copy of your 2021 tax return (if you are a new client)
• Driver’s license, state ID, or passport for taxpayer and spouse
• Social Security cards for taxpayer(s) and dependents
• All tax forms (examples include W-2, 1099-R, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-SSA, 1099-G unemployment, 1099-MISC)
• 1095-A for health insurance provided by ACA
• For assets sold—be able to provide original purchase date and cost, sold date, and proceeds
• For self-employed—1099-NEC income, 1099-K credit card income, cash income, plus a tabulated total of expenses
• Federal and state income tax paid
• Dependent care provider information (name, address, employer ID or Social Security number, amount paid)
• 1098-T and book costs for college education credit
• For homeowners—real estate taxes paid in 2022
• For renters—rent paid in 2022, name and address of landlord
• Bank routing and account # for refund deposit
• Did you receive a $200 Indiana Automatic Taxpayer Refund?