Job Opening: Part-time Circulation Library Assistant
Description/Responsibilities: The Westfield Washington Public Library is looking for an energetic, detail-oriented individual to provide customer service for library users at the Circulation Desk. This individual will perform a variety of clerical tasks dealing primarily with patron accounts and the circulation of library materials. Candidates must excel at multi-tasking, and have good communication skills, computer proficiency, and an ability to learn quickly and to retain information. This position involves a good amount of moving, standing and lifting. The schedule includes evenings and regularly rotating weekends.
Qualifications: Requires a high school diploma and experience with technology. Some library experience is preferred. Knowledge of the principles of good customer service and effective public relations as they relate to the Circulation Department is expected.
Pay Rate: $10.00 per hour.
Contact: Please complete the job application available online or at the Circulation Desk and return either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the Circulation Desk.
Position Available: Immediately
Deadline: Open until filled.
TITLE: Circulation Library Assistant II
Reports to: Circulation Manager
Status: Support – Hourly – Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: 1
General Summary: Interacts directly with library users at the Circulation Desk, performing a variety of clerical tasks dealing primarily with the circulation of materials.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide good customer service to library users.
- Responsible for checking materials in and out accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for re-shelving and cleaning audio/visual materials in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responsible for issuing Evergreen Indiana new or replacement cards, PLAC, and Reciprocal Borrower cards to library users in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responsible for answering phones, checking book drop and making calls as needed.
- Responsible for collecting fines and fees and recording that information accurately.
- Responsible for taking turns with the various duties at the circulation desk, i.e. checking materials in, cleaning and re-shelving materials.
- Attend quarterly staff meetings
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend other meetings as necessary.
- Ability to use equipment in the circulation department ( i.e. CD cleaner/buffer, cash register, copy machines, computers, etc.)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires High school diploma.
- Some Library experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles of good customer service and effective public relations as they relate to the Circulation Department.
- Interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact and deal tactfully with the public and other staff members.
- Skilled in typing and ability to do data entry using a computer terminal.
- Keep up to date and proficient with the technology as it relates to your position
Skills Required after Probationary Period
- Knowledge of Evergreen Indiana System
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures
- Ability to accurately read numbers and letters both in print and on screen
- Ability to speak and hear the spoken word
- Hand/eye coordination to operate computers and office equipment
- Ability to bend and reach to retrieve and/or shelve materials
- Ability to lift and /or move up to 20 lbs. and to manipulate loaded book carts and bins
- Ability to work a varied schedule including day, evening and weekend hours
- Normal office environment with little, if any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like.
- Occasional travel to various Library and community locations.