The program starts on June 1st and runs until July 31st. You may sign up online here, or visit the library to sign up. You’ll want to eventually stop in to receive your sign-up prize.
Helpful hints for signing up:
- Suggested Username: firstnamelastname (all lower case, no spaces)
- Suggested Password: Last 4 digits of your phone number
The Summer Reading Program is for all ages, from birth to adult. Earn incentives and prizes for signing up, reading books, listening to books, reading aloud to others, being read to, and even attending library programs. See a librarian or library assistant for more information. Thank you to our many local sponsors who help make our reading program a success! We could not do it without their help. A complete listing of our many sponsors is on display at the library.
The library will be hosting numerous special events throughout the summer that coincide with the Summer Reading Program. Be sure to join us for great free family entertainment and fun!
Guidelines for Patrons
Enter Books from June 1—July 31, 2019
- Sign up for the Summer Reading Program at the library or online.
- Each participant may only register in 1 age level. Duplicate entries will be removed.
Explorers (Preschool): Program is completed after 12 hours of listening or reading.
Navigators (Grades K-4): Program is completed after 18 hours of listening or reading.
Cadets (Grades 5-6): Program is completed after 24 hours of listening or reading.
Aliens (Grades 7-12): Program is completed after finishing 8 books or audiobooks.
Astronauts (Age 18+): Program is completed after finishing 8 books or audiobooks.
For adults and teens, 3 magazines/newspapers = 1 book. Reading aloud to others also counts toward your goal, both for the reader, and listener.
- Earn a prize just for signing up! Incentive prizes, awarded after completing half of the program and upon completion, can be picked up beginning Monday, June 10th.
- Earn department drawing slips for prizes donated by our sponsors. Drawing prize slips are unlimited* but participants can only win one drawing prize. (*Preschool level participants are not eligible for unlimited drawing slips.) Staff will draw winners for the department drawing prizes and grand prize on August 1 at our celebration program beginning at 1:00 PM.
- All participants who successfully complete the Summer Reading Program goal for their specific level will be automatically entered into the Grand Prize Drawing.
- Participants must be present to pick up their own incentive prizes, drawing slips, and drawing prizes. All incentive and drawing prizes must be picked up by August 31, 2019.
The Summer Reading Program Grand Prize (limited to one entry per patron) will be a Gysker 70mm Refractor Telescope, a Stargazing: Beginners Guide to Astronomy book, and a $100 Amazon Gift Card. All ages may enter the Grand Prize drawing one time after they have completed the program. The Grand Prize is sponsored by the Friends of the Westfield Library.